Monday, May 24, 2010

Adventures always have risk...

Last Friday, Isabelle and John Michael were riding their bikes and having great adventures together. They were stopped quickly as they saw a big black snake crossing the road. SO, they got off their bikes to watch the snake slither across the road and then into the grass - fun stuff for them! (NOT ME!) They were ready to get riding again, and somehow - John Michael's tire hit Isabelle's & she went down hard. She was sobbing and pale white. I was concerned, but there was no bruising or swelling, so I thought she must have just really tweaked her arm. "She'd be fine tomorrow" I thought. Well by Sunday afternoon, she still wasn't using the arm and was occasionally complaining that it was hurting. So, after I asked 100 times - "are you sure it really hurts?" and "let me feel...does it hurt here?" we decided to take her to the ER...A fracture right behind her growth plates in her left arm. YIPEE!!! WOW - and to think I didn't believe that it really hurt! :) The ER doc. was SO wonderful - Isabelle just finished learning all the major bones of the body - so she and the doc. had a very enlightening conversation about bones...I don't know that this would have been my choice of a "hands on" learning experience, but I'll take it! Now she thinks she wants to be a doctor - "not the kind that do surgery or have to give shots!" though.

On the way home from the ER, this is what we heard in the back seat:

John Michael: "I'm sorry I hurt your arm, sissy. It's all my fault. I did it. I'm sorry."
Isabelle: "It's ok bubby. It will be fine soon."
John Michael: "I told you I was sorry when you wrecked."
Isabelle: "I know, I told you I forgive you."

Oh to warm my heart...what a blessing to hear their love and concern for each other. Bubby definitely wants to make sure that you know he is sorry for anything he does...I pray that he is always quick to admit his wrongs and ask forgiveness. He is far ahead of most of us in that right now!

We will head to an Ortho doc on Wed...to make sure all will be well and no other treatment is necessary. What would an adventure be if there were no risk?

No comments: