I have heard a repeated theme as reflected in the title of this blog - in 3 different ways - a church sermon, my BSF study, & listening to one of my favorite Christian women on the radio - Nancy Leigh DeMoss. When God repeats, I KNOW I should listen. I'll begin with this:
"Father, if you are willing, take this cup from me; yet not my will, but yours be done." Jesus prayed this as He knelt prior to being arrested in the garden. The very next verse says "An angel appeared to him and strengthened him. And being in anguish, he prayed more earnestly, and his sweat was like drops of blood falling to the ground." (Luke 22:42-44)
Jesus prayed in agony in the Garden of Gethsamene, which translates to "Olive Press". In this place, Jesus was pressed on every side & it produced peace, strength, and resolve for God's will. He wasn't forced to do anything - scripture tells us He has the right to lay His life down & take it up again. He was in agony for the suffering, for the loss, for the betrayals, for the lost souls who would not repent. This was agony in it's greatest form. Jesus prayed 3 times for God to allow something else to happen, but there was nothing else that could make payment for sin, but shed blood. Jesus was our Passover Lamb. His blood saved us from the wrath we deserve and He willing laid down his life. In His time of trouble/wilderness - God met Him, God revealed the purposes, and God strengthened Him for hard road ahead.
I have learned alot from this . . . . thinking of an olive press - great pressure is necessary to produce a new thing - the oil we want to use. I recognize that if He allows pressure, it's because He wants to bring something new. So, yes, there is no trouble free existence this side of heaven because each "trouble" is for a purpose in my life. He desires to grow me into the likeness of His Son. I am conformed as I submit to the circumstance He allows in my life & triumph through them with His strength because I love Him & want to be changed.
Sometimes these "troubles" are short, other are long, some are so complicated & multi-layered. At times, it feels God isn't there & that we are walking in a wilderness, not knowing where to turn or what to think. Israel walked in the wilderness for 40 years & 1 Cor 10:1-13 explains what we can learn from what they experienced so we don't remain stuck in the wilderness. (I would encourage you to read that passage - it is eye opening!)
What I have learned is that though I HATE the wilderness, there are certain things that happen spiritually in those times that don't happen in normal life. I want to learn to embrace those times of trouble/wilderness where life is hard - and look for the blessings because He is there! Praise God! I also desire to have a humble, teachable, God-centered spirit during those hard times to ALLOW Him to refine my character.
Questions I am pondering:
In my trouble, how is God asking me to rise to the occasion? Am I being lazy/weary & just settling in, or am I seeking Him to change me?
Do I embrace the trouble or RUN?
God is faithful in the trouble, am I faithful?
In seasons of wilderness, will I lift my eyes to the heavens where my help comes from & praise Him?
Thanks for sharing your thoughts with me . . . I pray you are stirred in your spirit to respond to God & allow Him to change you in whatever circumstances you find yourself in today. His return is sure & coming soon . . . will you fully surrender to ALL that He has for you?
No comments:
Post a Comment