I just returned home from my Great Uncle Bill's funeral in Indiana. It was a sweet & touching time for me to ponder his life both earthly & eternal. My Great Aunt Fern (his wife) went to be with the Lord about 11 years ago. They were very special to me, having no children of their own, we were like grandchildren to them. I will miss them, but know that their frail bodies are no more & that they are experiencing the blessing of heaven - a great reward. My cousin, Benji, did the service for Uncle Bill - it was amazing. My Uncle Bill always said "Benj, Be Still!" (Well, he said it to all of us - but Benj was remembering all the times it was said to him.) Uncle Bill's words reminded him of a command given to us in Psalms to "Be Still & KNOW that I am God." Benj did a wonderful job of reminding all of us that it isn't enough to simple know about God, or go to church, or participate in "good" activities. We have to crave Him like we crave oxygen. We have to spend time with Him to know Him, but to also be known by Him. I am thankful that God has been teaching me about that for the last 5 years. If you are wondering what it means to crave Him - ask Him to reveal Himself to you through His Word. Get in the Word through your own study or a Bible study - He will be there & you will be forever changed. Thanks Benj, for a God glorifying tribute to Uncle Bill - God's message through you was powerful.
Here are the kids in our hotel doing their school work - Olivia wanted to work too, so she colored.
On a funny note, between the visitation & funeral we had an inch of ice & 11 inches of snow. We didn't even know if we would make it to the funeral. My sister spent an hour trying to warm up the car, scrap the thick ice & snow off the car & digging the car out of the parking spot. She was soaked & cold. I watched her from our hotel window & knocked so she would know I was thinking of her! :) After the funeral we headed for home, but not before stopping to visit Grandma Clare in Indianapolis. We so enjoyed our visit with her!
Getting back to my "fresh" theme . . . I have fresh peaches & blueberries put up in the freezer from this summer. Today, I made a fresh peach pie & blueberry cobbler. I've made the cobbler before - it is amazing, but today was my first attempt at a peach pie! It turned out SO good I had to take a picture of it. I am really excited about sharing it at our prayer group dinner tonight.
I pray that you are finding a fresh start in each day - taking time to BE STILL & KNOW that God is God each morning! As we approach Valentines, remember that God loves you so much. You are His precious Child - there is NO ONE like YOU. Valentine's Day is everyday in God's world - He wants to shower you with His love & He desires you to love Him too!
Check out www.fathersloveletter.com - you will be blessed.
3 comments:
It was a memerable trip. I have never shoveled that much snow at one time. What a mess. I'm glad Olivia can say kel-kel now. The only problem is...every day, several times a day..."kel-kel, bubba, belle, all gone" is what we here.
Great summer of last week. Mixed emotions over all of it. Trying hard to Be Still.
Mom
Hi there,
What an wonderful legacy your Uncle Bill has left in his "grandchildren." We should all aspire to leave a Godly legacy. Found this verse that says it all...
Psalm 45:17 I will perpetuate your memory through all generations;
therefore the nations will praise you for ever and ever.
Had so much fun chatting last night. Love you much!
Lynn
Post a Comment