Monday, July 26, 2010

The Family of God - Haiti

It has been a really long time since I last posted....so many things have happened in our lives in the last month. As I sat pondering what to write & what to post, I kept thinking about how each event in our lives over the last month has been directly impacted by the Family of God.


For example, right now as I type, my kids are enjoying VBS at one of our old churches as they spend the week with my parents. My mom called to tell me they were all checked in & SO pumped. She said the kids seemed really thrilled to be loved on by our old friends who were giving them high 5's & hellos as they arrived. I can't explain to you the feeling that I have knowing that my kids are being so loved on by God's family...people who don't see my kids on a daily basis, but have a genuine, sincere love for my kids because they love the Lord - isn't that amazing!

Because I have so much to share....since I'm "alone" this week preparing for school to start on August 9th - yes we will be homeschooling a 3rd grader & 1st grader....we are all very excited, I will do a new post everyday this week - so you can catch up on our lives from this summer.


So back to June...Our first Family of God stop - HAITI!!! When I typed my last post, I had just put Kevin on a plane to Haiti for his 3rd trip there. He was thrilled to be able to go and lead a trip with the Global Orphan Project. It was a great blessing...he was able to see many lives changed as the Lord broke hearts of his team members. The family of God became 20 members bigger for us - as these 20 team members became part of our extended family along with 100's of new Haitian children he had yet to meet! We don't speak Haitian-Creole, but we do speak the love of God and that language is known in every country! We love our Haitian family!
Here are a few photo highlights.

Kevin with some of the children before school.
These 2 little guys remind me of John Michael...the way he always smiles and radiates joy! These boys have so little, but they have God's love & the Joy in their faces shows it!
Kevin with Moise Vaval. He is the pastor I have written about before. Isabelle is raising funds to build 10 homes on his property that was completely destroyed by the earthquake. Moise shared about Isabelle at his church service on Sunday while Kevin was there and he asked Kevin to share with the congregation. It was a very emotional moment for Kevin. The family of God is SO huge. We consider the Vaval family in our prayers often as the continue to remember their 9 year old son who died in the quake. They are very much a part of our family.
This picture is the sight where the homes will be constructed. As far as we know, the construction has begun!
Kevin & his roommates - Nick & Frantzy. Nick & Frantzy know each other through work and came on the trip after seeing GO Project on 60 minutes. Frantzy is Haitian - so this was a very special trip for him. He had not been back to Haiti since he was a small child.

Capital building still looks like it day the day of the quake.Much of Haiti still lies in ruin. A swim in the ocean & the group finds this boat....smile!

While Kevin was in Haiti, we attended our sweet friend Neva's talent show. Her goal, to raise $5000 to build a home in Isabelle's village. She did it! To see pics & read more, click on the Arts for Orphans link on the right side of this blog page.

1 comment:

Mrs. T said...

Seeing these pictures makes me ache to go on a missions trip again.